Are you looking for advice and tips for losing weight? And you most probably are wondering of getting some advice on low carb diet after you are considering opting for a low carb diet. This article will explore on why one should opt for a low carb diet and also various health benefits of opting for a low carb diet.
Why opt for a low carb diet?
- Those who are having overweight issues and looking to lose weight the healthy way and to lead a healthy life style should try low calorie diet
- A low carb diet has no restrictions over calorie values of food intake.
- Low cab diet plans emphasizes on protein and healthy fats rather than mostly carbohydrate, which one follows in daily meal plans. Protein and healthy fats have various health benefits, in long terms. However a low carb diet doesn’t fully exclude carbohydrates but limits the intake of carbohydrate food items.
Limitation food items in a low carb diet:
- Limitation of sugar-contained food items or desserts
- Limitation on starch foods such as rice or bread or pasta and potatoes
- Leave out the processed low fat food product
Allowed food items in a low carb diet:
- Green vegetables
- Natural fats such as butter
- eggs and cheese
- Olive oil
If you really don’t want to miss out on fruit- you can consider fruits which are low carb such as apricots, organic strawberries (they are low in sugar), grapefruits, peaches etc. You can also consider having tea or coffee (preferably black) and try not to use any sugar or artificial sweeteners since they can hamper your low carb diet.
However keep in mind that if you are a diabetic who is on insulin or you are a breast feeding mother- it is advised to avoid and not opt for low carb diet.
The health benefits of low carb diet are:
- Weight loss
- Considerable improvement in blood glucose level and improvement for those with type 2 diabetes
- If you are looking to reduce abdominal fat- it is a good way for reducing abdominal fat.
- Lower level of triglycerides
- An increase in the level of good cholesterol ( HDL) in the blood
- A reduction in blood pressure
- The level of LDL (bad cholesterol) is reduced in the blood to a level that doesn’t cause damage to the health
However, there are some side effects to the low carb diet, for those who are doing this diet for the first time, such as headaches, palpitation of the heart, lethargy, mood swings etc. But these only happen as the body is trying to adapt to a new pattern of diet.
It is advised that before considering any types of diet such as low carb diet, it is better to consult with a doctor who will take proper physical checkups and advice you whether it is suitable for you or not and how to plan the proper diet according to your health.